Are you dealing with chronic pain at work?

When you think of workers' compensation, you may think of an arm-off case, crushing accident or something similar. However, do you ever think about chronic pain? This may not be the case; nevertheless, chronic pain (for example, chronic back issues) can be a claimable work-related injury. There are a growing number of cases in the United States that concern this issue. In fact, sources suggest that employers may need more programs that treat and reduce these types of injuries, which are exacerbated by certain working environments.

In general, chronic pain is defined as an injury where pain is a significant portion of (or as important as) the disease. In most cases, the duration of the pain is experienced beyond what is typical for the specific injury. For some, chronic pain is disabling. The problem affects 116 million individuals in America. Treatment of chronic pain depends on the case; however, some remedies include orthopedic, rehabilitative, psychological or neurological assistance.

You may wonder why there has been a significant rise in the number of workers' compensation claims related to chronic pain. A major cause for the rise in claims is the increasing age of the workforce. This is because older individuals are likely to suffer from other conditions, as well. This makes them more susceptible to chronic pain.

What should do if I am battling chronic pain?

The first step is to see an experienced doctor. After all, you want to prevent the injury from becoming worse. A doctor will be able to pinpoint the area affected. Left untreated, some small tissue claims can become serious, requiring major rehabilitation.

The next step would be to visit an experienced workers' compensation attorney. As you struggle to deal with your injury, you should look into your options. Medical bills can get hefty - too large for your income to support. Moreover, your job could be making the condition worse. For example, a simple back injury could become worse in a position that involves a lot of heavy lifting. All of this adds to a vicious cycle. You need your income to support your medical costs, but your occupation is attributing to the problem.

Ultimately, workers' compensation provides support for injured or harmed workers. If this is you, take the time to speak with an experienced workers' compensation attorney in your area. A lawyer can help assess your condition and formulate your claim for financial support.